Friday, March 11, 2011

Tried It! Liked It! Recipe: Millet Bowl with Black Beans and Vegetables

Thank you Whole Living, for being such a killer magazine, and for having such yummy vegan recipes within your covers.


From the "Change Issue: A Fresh Start" there was a whole detox plan. I didn't actually follow the detox plan because I was too busy gearing up for Health Month, and following along with other month long eating plans with Eating Rules. I did, however, try out this recipe!

Millet Bowl with Black Beans and Vegetables


I did omit the red cabbage because I couldn't find any at my farmer's market or any that was local/looked acceptable. I also omitted the dressing which kept the taste very clean. The beans cooked with ginger was really nice...I have never cooked black beans with ginger before and I really liked it, it was a good flavor combination. This recipe made enough for me to eat for dinner and pack the second half for lunch the next day! It is rare that a recipe will get into my regular rotation status...but I am pretty sure this recipe fits the bill!

Here is the recipe for those of you who do not like following links. (directly from Whole Living...I DID NOT write this recipe!)

MILLET
1/4 cup millet
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
Kosher salt
1 cup water

VEGETABLES
4 shiitake mushrooms (2 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
2 baby bok choy, halved
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1 scallion, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds

DRESSING
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
Directions

Place millet, black beans, and ginger in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Steam shiitakes in a steamer over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy and steam 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove steamer from heat.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar to make dressing. Season with a dash of salt.

Transfer millet to bowls and garnish with steamed and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.

From Whole Living, January/February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment