Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hearty and Filling Vegan Whole Wheat Mixed Berry Muffins

If you are trying to cut out white flour, this vegan muffin recipe is great for just that! I can't attest to how "healthy" they are, as you see there is a full cup of sugar in the recipe...but there's no eggs, and if you get a good soy margarine you don't have to feel awful about snacking it up with these guys!

Ingredients:
2 cups wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup soy margarine
1 cup applesauce
1 cup raw sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond milk

2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used blueberries, blackberries and chopped strawberries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly: soy margarine, applesauce, sugar, vanilla and almond milk.

Slowly add in flour mixture and stir until just mixed. The batter should be kind of sticky. Feel free to add a bit more applesauce or almond milk if the batter seems too thick.

Fill up muffin tins (I would grease these a little) or baking cups (I use If You Care large baking cups) 3/4 full with batter and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.




I realized after I went to make muffins that in my move and in an effort to simplify, I donated my muffin pan. No sweat, I just poured the batter into double muffin pan liners and set them on a baking sheet, which did the trick!



Okay, so they are a little bit like muffin discs, but that's cool too!



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment