Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Favorite Raw Dressing!

I love citrus fruits so much, and honestly almost overdose on clementines when they are plentiful in the markets.  I battle back and forth often between eating local food and trying to keep as much variety in my diet despite the efforts it may take to get an avocado or orange my way in NYC. 

I do have a bit of a confession to make.  I am a vegan who doesn't actually like salads.  It is a common theme for someone to say, "Oh, we can go to this restaurant, there are great salads there." and for me to turn my nose up and immediately reject the idea for another place...please please don't tell me I am going to eat a salad for dinner!  

The book, Raw Food Real World changed my whole world around salads, and provided me with my absolute favorite salad dressing.  I literally get so excited to eat a salad when I know I am putting this refreshing and creamy dressing on it.  I will still forgo the restaurant salads with their often processed, or just plain balsamic (yuck!) dressings...but salads have become a very common and healthy lunch or even dinner for me armed with this recipe!

I woke up early the yesterday morning, and whipped up some of my favorite dressing as I drank chai tea (I am trying to cut back on coffee...we'll discuss that later). 

You can tell how much I love this book by how "loved" it is.  It is always kind of gross, but also kind of charming when a cookbook has cooking stains on it, right?  Or is it just gross? 

~Here is the recipe!~
(from Raw Food Real Life)

1 avocado - peeled and pitted
1 cup orange juice - freshly squeezed
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lime juice - freshly squeezed
1 green onion
1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
1/2 small jalapeno - seeded
handful of cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
(I usually use much less evoo and can even forgo it, but it does make the mixture nice and emulsified if you choose to use it)

Add all ingredients, except EVOO, in blender and food processor and blend until smooth.  With the blade still running, slowly add olive oil until the mixture emulsifies. 

Keeps in the refrigerator,  I recommend using the dressing within about 2 days. 

except for the avocado and citrus, everything else is from my local green market. 
this melamine citrus reamer gets SO much juice from the fruits!
before
after
Seal in an airtight container and refrigerate.  Will keep for about 3 days, but I think it starts to taste less fresh after 2. 

My typical salad:  sprouts, radishes and green lettuce with curry cashews on top, all from my local Farmer's Market.

Hope you enjoy this recipe, I know it has converted me!  

xoh!
d

No comments:

Post a Comment