Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vegan Hazelnut and Banana Crepes

yum


I set out the other week to make my own hazelnut spread and vegan crepes and I had this idea that they would come out perfect and amazing from the get go.  It's call envisioning and it ALMOST worked.  My idea was to make a completely unprocessed crepe, and I will still be working on that...but for now I give you a vegan crepe using Earth Balance.  I will let you know when I get it down without any processed ingredients!   

Some things I learned while experimenting: I found that if I heated first batch of crepes (made without earth balance) in the oven, I was able to get a weird crispy like desert but it certainly didn't taste the way I want my crepes to taste.  I realized that maybe next time I will try to let my crepes sit in the cold for a bit longer and set-up before busting them onto the pan and trying to make crepes with them.  This MAY be a solution, we will see! 

Here is my finalized recipe.  You have to be a little patient and plan ahead of time because the spread tastes a little while to make, but it is so worth it.  If you really love hazelnut spread, double the recipe...it will keep in the refrigerator for about a month!
~~~

Vegan Crepe Ingredients:  (recipe from VeganYumYum)

1/2 cup soymilk (check your soymilk ingredients, Edensoy has one that is just soybeans and filtered water, if I am not making my own soymilk, this is the one I live by). 
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup earth balance (try to find the least evil ingredient list)
1 cup flour 
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar in the raw
2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs water to thin if needed

Place all of the ingredients into a blender or a bowl and blend or whisk until smooth.  Transfer to a 2 cup measuring cup (for pouring) and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.  
~~~



Hazelnut Spread Ingredients: 


2 cups whole raw hazelnuts
1 cup powered sugar (you will need to make this by pulverizing raw sugar in a food processor until it turns into powder: easy peasy). 
1/4 cup cocoa powder 
1/4 cup nut oil or evoo
1/2 tsp pure vanilla 

Prework: Make the powdered sugar by pulverizing raw sugar in your food processor, you may need a little more than a cup but start with a cup and add more as you need.  I usually make a bunch of this and store it in the pantry.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place hazelnuts on a baking pan and toast for about 15-20 minutes until the skins turn black and look papery. At about 10 minutes, be sure to shake the tray to ensure that all areas of the nuts are being toasted equally.

3. Place the hazelnuts in a cool kitchen towel and using oven mitts hold the towel and rub the nuts until most of the skin comes off.  If you do not wear mitts, this will suck...so trust me, wear mitts.  Some of the skins may remain, don't drive yourself crazy over this, just try to get most off as the skins will make your hazelnut spread bitter.

4. Process the roasted nuts in a food processor or Vitamix for about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides as you go.  It is going to look like the nuts are attacking your blade and forming a union, keep spinning those blades, after a while the hazelnuts will give in and disperse, turning from a solid mass of hazelnut protestors into a creamy butter.

5.  Once the nuts are smooth and creamy, add the sugar, cocoa and vanilla and mix well.  Slowly add the oil in as the blades are running to emulsify the mixture and so the oil is distributed evenly.

6. Transfer the mixture to a glass, airtight container but do not refrigerate yet!

Making the Crepes:

Pour out a small amount of the crepe batter onto very lightly oiled or nonstick pan over medium heat.

Let batter spread out and heat until you start to see bubbles (think pancake but way thinner).  When bubbles are formed, use a large spatula to flip the crepe and heat the other side.

Once both sides are heated, turn heat down to low or medium low and add hazelnut spread and sliced banana.

After spread has melted, fold over the crepe while still on the pan, flip and heat for a few seconds more and then transfer to a plate.

Try not to eat too many at once. They are pretty irresistible!


happy baking!
xoh!
d

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been looking for a good crepe recipe. Thank you for posting!

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ladies, let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete